Welcome to some of my more informal insights into the world of Real Estate. Here I’ll introduce some of the hot topics within the industry and add some of my tips to help you make the most of your career in this business.
10 Things You Need to Do to Prepare Your Home for Sale
Getting ready to sell your home is a challenge. You want to be sure that you're presenting it in the best light possible so that potential buyers can imagine themselves there. Showing off your home's best assets isn't natural to many people, however, so check out this list of 10 things you need to do to prepare your home for sale to make it easier.
1. Make those minor updates that you've been waiting on, whether it's touching up some paint, replacing a door that's hung wrong, or updating appliances from your grandmother's era.
2. Perform the kind of deep cleaning that you haven't done since you moved in. Dust all those surfaces you don't usually see, scrub the floors, and find all the nooks and crannies where dirt likes to gather. Hiring a professional cleaner can be well worth it!
3. Clear out unnecessary clutter. This includes your closets, kitchen cabinets, and spare rooms as well as clutter left out throughout the house.
4. Make it less personal. You want people to imagine themselves in your home, not to see your family there. Take down pictures, pack away personal collections, and look forward to placing those personal items in your own new home.
5. Remove excessive furniture. Bookshelves, toy boxes, lamps, and more may need to go in order to make your rooms appear more open and airy.
6. Tidy up outside, too. Clear out the overgrowth, keep the yard mowed, and make sure your walkways are clear.
7. Fix up a few little things. Updating fixtures and drawer pulls isn't expensive, but it can make a big difference in the way your room is viewed.
8. Don't forget the details! On showing days, put out the pretty towels and add a candle to your bathroom. Don't cook things like bacon or fish that will leave heavy smells lingering through the whole house. Close the toilet. It's the little things that will help attract buyers to your home.
9. Pay particular attention to the entrance. This is the first area that buyers will see when they come into the home. While it might not be a selling point, it will form a first impression that can't be ignored.
10. Brighten up the house by putting in new, bright bulbs in each room, particularly in rooms where potential buyers could spend a great deal of time.
When you put your home on the market, you want to put its best foot forward so that it will attract the right buyer as quickly as possible. Want to learn more? Contact us today for more tips on staging your home and making it stunning.